One of Norfolk County Council’s Improved Better Care Funding initiatives, the Enhanced Home Support Service, opened for referrals on Monday 5 February 2018. This small and targeted Social Care initiative aims to reduce delayed discharges from the three acute hospitals, as well as prevent unnecessary admissions from the community. The pilot Service is free for up to 72 hours and is not means tested. However, if an individual requires support after 72 hours a fee may be charged.
The service will be piloted over a three year period and is delivered in partnership with three Home Support Framework providers: Allied Health Care, Carers Trust and Carewatch.
The Enhanced Home Support Service will provide:
- Unplanned, short term, same day home support for up to 72 hours across all five CCG areas in Norfolk.
- 24 hours/7 day home support with access to the service for new referrals between 8am-8pm
- Person-centred, enabling support in the person’s home, which is focused on stabilising and supporting the individual, so they can live safely and independently at home.
Those accessing the Service need to meet the following criteria:
- Be over 18 and a resident living in Norfolk
- Have been assessed and confirmed as medically mobilised and ready to be discharged from hospital with short term support or
- In need of short term support to avoid being admitted or readmitted to hospital.
The Enhanced Home Support Service will be co-ordinated by dedicated assessors based at the three acute hospitals and practitioners in the community locality teams.
Aims of the Enhanced Home Support Service:
The aim is to provide:
- A responsive and flexible service
- A service which is enabling and suited to individuals with a low level of short term need i.e. to get back on their feet, rather than intensive support involving double-ups and numerous times per day.
- Enabling Home Support services including meal preparation, personal care, shopping, welfare checks, medication monitoring and facilitation of the access to and the use of community resources.
- A service that promotes the use of equipment and Assistive Technology where appropriate.
The impact of the initiative will be tightly monitored and reviewed to ensure it meets the aims of the pilot.
For more information about Enhanced Home Support Service please contact:
Hanne Lene Schierff – Commissioning Manager – Central team: email@example.com